Can I get a chip key at a big store?

A lot of people have asked me if Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc., can duplicate or make new RFID or chip auto keys. The short answer is sometimes.

Some of these stores have the capability of duplicating this kind of key but most cannot make one without a functioning key. If you lost your chip car key and have no copies, there is still only two options: go to a dealer of your vehicle's brand, or call an auto locksmith.

Now, if you have a copy, shop around, these stores sometimes offer great prices and beat locksmiths. Make sure to try the key you get from these big names though, not all cars have the same specifications and key programming technology and you could end up with an auto key that allows you to turn the ignition but not turn on the car.

As a rule, I find great value when I call a locksmith. Some keys, depending of brand and model are cheaper at big stores. I only call a dealer when no locksmith or store can make the key for me because this alternative is the most expensive though necessary when talking about very high-end vehicles or security features.

Popular Posts